Saturday, March 22, 2014

Stardust shawl

This shawl started with the yarn. It is Red Heart!  Can you believe it??  It's Red Heart Stardust in colors orange and blue. My mom was browsing her local Alco store (a small home goods store) and found a good supply of this yarn on clearance. It is a discontinued line, but I told her to grab me several skeins since it is wool (70% wool, 25% nylon and 5% metallic) . The metallic sparkle adds a nice touch, dressing it up a notch.



 I decided to make this Sothia shawl with it. I thought the colors would play nicely with each other, and I was right. The orange and blue have a southwest feel to them in my mind. Reminiscent of terra cotta and turquoise. 


I made some alterations to the pattern, shortening the ruffle section and adding an additional orange stripe at the end. 

The stardust shawl has a huge wingspan of more than 60". It is 22" from neck to tip. It's a nice size for putting over a sleeveless or strapless dress on a chilly evening. The long wings on it will allow it to be wrapped completely around you and stay in place. 

So hurray for discontinued yarn and finding the perfect pattern for it!

No comments:

Post a Comment