Sunday, March 16, 2014

Post Op

I'm trying to get back into the swing of things again. I had surgery a week ago yesterday to remove my gallbladder.  It wasn't much fun, but I'm now mostly recovered and have it behind me. I'm just hopeful that my pain will be gone now.

I did find some time to do a little knitting while recovering- it was really nice to have something small to work on that didn't take too much concentration (you can guess how lace work would have gone while medicated), and the wool scrap blanket was the perfect thing. I was able to do a few blocks a day and I used up all the wool and am beginning to piece the blanket together. 
I'm going for random patchwork, since I have different amounts of each color. It's fun. My mind doesn't do random easily, so I have to force it sometimes. I'm sure it's good exercise. 

I made sure to leave 16-18" tails on both ends of each block, and I devised a way to use the tails to do all the seaming. I love killing two birds with one stone. 

I'm still undecided on whether to put a border on the blanket. It will be a small blanket, and I have some wool I could steal from another project, but the prospect of picking up zillions of stitches is a real turn off. We'll see. 

Just tonight I cast off on my two color shawl. 
I'll get the ends woven in and give 'er a bath before pictures. Yay!  Project completion!!

My mom, bless her heart, came up (uh, down?) to help me out through my EGD and surgery. It was a God-send. But it was also nice to have time to sit with her and knit. Well, she crochets, but you know what I mean. She churned out items for the craft show like a machine!  She made market bags, swiffer pads, kitchen scrubbies, and washcloths. I'll have to take some pictures. I kicked it into low gear and made several pot holders, too, but she put me to shame.  She also helped me get all my items priced and tagged.  I was sad when she had to go, as always. 

I'm hoping my energy returns and I can get back to my weaving - I've had to miss 2 weeks of classes and I'm not really sure how I'm going to make it up and finish the project before the next class of weaving students starts in. They might have to take my work off the loom to use it for another student. 

The other thing on my mind lately has been the GARDEN!  I've got the spring bug bad. There've been a few 70 degree days this week and it's been so beautiful. This evening, it's raining. I'm so excited to get my spring vegetable seeds in the ground.  I'm planning beets, spinach, carrots and the new one this year: potatoes. I bought a 40 gallon grow bag for the potatoes and am going to give it a whirl. Chris is working on building me some herb boxes for the fence that will allow me to use all the square footage on my raised bed for veggies. Bring on spring!

No comments:

Post a Comment