Monday, January 27, 2014

Counting blessings

Wow, we (in general) and I (specifically) have so much to be thankful for. Turning on the air conditioner or heater. Having a dishwasher. Being able to drive in a car to get where you need to. Ordering necessities online in my pj's. Having doctors and modern medicine to cure our ails. Having a grocery store with every imaginable food. Having plumbing and especially a toilet.  Being able to buy clothing. The trash truck that picks up our waste. Being (mostly) free from fear of attack, foreign and domestic.

Are we lucky?  Or just spoiled?  Do we often think about what it would be like without those things?  Well for some reason, I've thought about this a lot today. Maybe it's because I watched last night's Downton Abby and in that show get a glimpse of what life used to be like only 100 years ago. Or maybe it was because I have a sick little boy and am stuck at home, unable to go shopping for the things I need. But regardless, I consider myself blessed and will try to not take anything for granted.  

Knitting, however, is very low-tech and old. It's been used for ages to make clothing. Maybe it's a post-apocalyptic life skill. That's what I'll tell myself. I'm excited to have finished my 2 WIP's (work in progress). One more iPad cozy (I won't bore you with more identical pictures), and my baby blanket.  The blanket took a bubble bath today and is drying now. Pictures to come. 

On the needles now is a fingerless mitt in worsted weight yarn.  I started it today, so as you can see it'll go quickly. I love quick.
The second new project is a two-color shawl, not yet cast on. Should be fun!

Weaving is coming along nicely too.  Here's my loom view today.
This is the wool stadium blanket. Kansas State colors. (Boo). As you can see, the weaving is now much denser.  After consulting my instructor about the loose weave and considering options like re-sleying, re-beaming and such, I decided to make it weft-dominant - having more weft shots per inch than warp threads. Oh! and can you see my treadling error?  Grumble, grumble. I have to keep reminding myself that I'm learning. That aside, I'm happy with it.  It is 40" across and this Cascade 220 wool is so soft and stretchy, I think it'll be a great blanket.  If I can find a taker for the ugly school colors ;). 

At class, I have my warp wound and have it about halfway sleyed. I totally forgot to take a picture, so I'll do better this week.  

No comments:

Post a Comment