Tuesday, December 30, 2014

The Warping Board

As a new weaver, one thing that confused and intimidated me was the warping board.  I understood that somehow I needed "x" many of the same length warp threads to put on the loom, but until I saw it done, it was confusing.

I am currently working on my warping board, winding the warp for a set of red and cream kitchen towels.  I thought I'd show you a video of what the warping board process entails:



On this particular project, I need to wind 684 warp ends that are each 151" long.  Where the video starts, I've already wound about 200.  

To set the warp length, I measured 151" on a piece of waste yarn, and found a path between the pegs on my warping board to match that length.  Then the winding begins.  I've measured out how many of each color I need in a specific order, so that my warping on the loom is simplified.  

So as you can see, it's a long and time consuming process to wind the warp.  Frequently, my shoulders get tired from the back and forth motion that's needed.  I usually like to divide it up over a few days so it's not so bad.  Additionally, I TRY to use my left hand to stretch for the left pegs and then switch to my right hand for the right pegs, but I'm very right-hand dominant, and I'm still working on perfecting that.  Practice makes perfect.  One of these days, I'll purchase a warping wheel, where you simply turn a handle, and the yarn is measured.


But at nearly $300, I'm gonna have to collect my pennies for that!

P.S. - Don't you love my amazing math skills on the video?!  Don't you dare laugh...  I left that unedited just to show all you weaving beginners that you don't need to be a math whiz!  THAT'S WHY WE HAVE CALCULATORS.  And fingers. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment