Saturday, August 24, 2013

This is the cardigan that doesn't end...

I started knitting a multicolor cardigan in July of 2012.  I thought it would be fun to try some more intricate color work, and this pattern seemed to be a good one to start with because it doesn't actually involve fair isle, it utilizes slip stitches to bring colors up.  However, the pattern requires careful counting and with my busy life, it is taking me forever.  But since I'm STILL waiting on my loom parts (it's been 3 weeks now since I ordered them), I figured I'd get what I could done on this cardigan and hopefully finish it and move onto a new thing.  (Which I'm pretty sure is what knitters live for, starting new projects!)

So here is my current progress:

My helper, Elsie.

I chose earth tones inspired by a Navajo rug I saw in a shop.  While they're growing on me, I have to admit that at first I wasn't so sure about them.  But now I'm pretty pleased.  I have the back and the left front completed, and they are joined at the shoulder.  It's curling a lot at the edges because of the stockinette stitch, but I think you can see the basic shape.
This is the right front that's on my needles now, and as you can see I'm a few inches in.  Yes, 13 months later, I'm still working on the basic pieces.  I'm using 100% wool, since I really wanted this to be a warm sweater.  Lately, though, I've been having problems with finishing items, blocking them, and they fit perfectly, but then after wearing and washing, they seem to change and don't fit quite like I want.  But we'll see.  So far, this is looking like it'll fit good. 
Here's the reverse side of the back piece.  Kinda interesting, huh?

But I haven't been only knitting.  I have also been planning with my weaving.  I'm ready with yarn for the first project in the Learning to Weave book, as well as ideas for 2 additional projects.  In the following photo, from left to right, are the yarn for the sampler, 2 colors for a pair of different scarves on the same warp, and 7 colors for a plaid try!
Hopefully they get some action soon.  The cones are actually knitting machine yarn.  I recently inherited a knitting machine from Chris's family, and there was quite a stash of yarn.  I sold the machine on eBay but decided to keep the yarn to experiment with on my loom.  It's mostly icky acrylic stuff, but it's in a lot of good, bold colors and I didn't want it to go to waste.  Perfect for learning and experimenting!



No comments:

Post a Comment