I'm quickly coming up to the craft fair, so I'm beginning to transition from making items to preparing for the show. As such, I decided to make one last quick rug. I'm sure they will be a popular item at the fair. This time, I decided to make a longer, skinnier rug - one that would work well in front of sliding glass doors or down longer hallways. I wrote up a plan to make a 90" rug. I do all my math, and start weaving.
It's looking great on the loom, but as I'm weaving the middle section (the part after the white stripe), I notice that it doesn't seem like I have much more warp on the beam. I think I'll run short. I planned to weave 64" in that middle section, but after I get just beyond 50", I decide to go ahead and stop and make the next stripe. I'm so glad that I did, because I quickly ran out of weaving room and ended up hand-picking the last few throws through a teeny-tiny shed because I had run out of warp. Luckily, I was able to fit it all in. In retrospect, I realized my math error came from not taking into account how far over and under the weft the cotton warp travels, thus eating up length.
I think my beat is getting better in the rugs. I've decided muscle is the best bet, and also, focusing on the throw before the one you are beating in, ensuring the foundation is beat in well.
I've been collecting worn out t shirts from family, and I'm hoping to do some colorful t shirt rugs soon. Maybe even get some colorful cotton warp! But for now my big loom stands empty, allowing me to spend my energy getting ready for the craft fair. Wish me luck!