Wednesday, July 1, 2015

A Late Mother's Day Scarf

My Mom is the best.  She's my best friend, and we talk nearly daily.  So for Mother's Day this year, I asked mom if she would like me to make her something.  She has been telling me for a while that she wants me to make this or make that, but always in passing... so I told her to just tell me what she's wanting and I'll do it.

She decided on an infinity scarf.  The colors she picked were navy and red.  Off I went searching.  I decided I wanted to weave the item, but that's as much progress as I could seem to make on it until I took a family trip to Texas.  My sister-in-law, an avid knitter, recommended we go visit Madtosh Crafts in Fort Worth, the flagship store for Madelinetosh.  This was a total DANGER ZONE for us.  It was stuffed to the gills with the largest selection of Madelinetosh yarns I've ever seen (including some colors unavailable elsewhere), along with many other of my favorite yarn brands.

While there, I found an exclusive color (Moonstone - only available at that store) of Tosh Merino Light that I fell in LOVE with.  I decided despite Mom's color guidance, I'd go with this color.  For two coordinating colors, I decided on Flannel Blanket and Antique Lace.  Pictured below, the Moonstone is the blue, Flannel Blanket the reddy-orange, and Antique Lace the gray.

I tell ya, I'm just a sucker for Madelinetosh's tonal yarns.

So with 3 colors, I now had to decide what to do with them.  I spent about 4 hours (I kid you not), browsing Handweaving.net, trying to find a point twill draft.  Although it wasn't quite what I thought I was looking for, I really liked a mixed twill draft I found buried somewhere, and I WOULD give you that link, but I don't really want to spend another 4 hours trying to find it again.

I will, however, give you my WIF draft that I created.  I took the original draft and altered it to fit my width, centered it, and made it a two-color warp.

CLICK HERE for my WIF.

In case that doesn't work for you, here's the drawdown image.



I initially started out with a sett of 12, however after threading it that way and doing a sample, I could see that the design was drawn out and too wide for my likes.  And do you see the threading error?!  Ugh.


I fixed the error and changed the reed over to a 15 dent and resleyed.  I was much happier with the result!


So far, I've woven about 15 inches or so, and am LOVING the look of it.

I plan to weave until I can't weave anymore, and then cut it off and sew it together for the infinity scarf.  When I've finished, I'll publish my weaving record sheet with all the calculations, yarn totals, warp color orders and etc.  So check back soon!   Happy weaving to me and happy Wednesday to all of you!


2 comments:

  1. any Job Opportunity for weaving Designing
    Shahrukh
    Shahrukh-ansari@outlook.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is beautiful! I also love those years. Did you have any trouble with breaking warp threads with the light since is a single ply?

    ReplyDelete