Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Stadium cushion

I've completed my 10 week weaving class that my husband gifted me for Christmas this year. It was so much fun getting out of the house, meeting with other people who know weaving, and learning a thing or two. 

I went into the class already knowing how to weave, but wanting to learn a new technique: doubleweave. My instructor, even though she had no experience with doubleweave, pointed me in the right direction. I pulled out my copy of Doubleweave by Jennifer Moore, and read (a time or two) the introductory chapters on how to doubleweave. I learned just about all I needed right there!  

After seeing how you can use doubleweave to create tubes, I had a brilliant (I'm convinced) idea to make a stadium cushion in school colors. 

I did a lot of math, picked my colors, ordered the yarn, and started in. Now I won't get into boring logistics, but in doubleweave, you are weaving two layers simultaneously. I found it fascinating and rewarding to see it weave up. 
In order to make your two layers of woven fabric connected at the sides, I simply interlaced the wefts at each edge (photo above).  Once the pocket was as large as needed...
See my fingers sticking into the pocket?

...I stuffed the pocket with polyfil...

...and then the layers swap positions (bottom to top and top to bottom), effectively sealing in the stuffing. 
Here is a side shot of a completed stuffed tube (dark blue) and working on the next tube (light blue). 

Once I had finished the number of tubes I needed, it's done!  There were unstuffed tubes at the beginning and end of the weaving, which was my next task. 

I carefully removed the header from the material and spent a brief moment admiring the layers.
I then stuffed it with polyfil, and took two top weft threads and tied them to two bottom weft threads every 20 groups, giving it some stability. 
I then worked down the line tying knots. 
There may be a better way to finish off the seam, but I couldn't think of any way other than leaving a fringe that wouldn't significantly shorten the end pockets. I may need more thought on this, but it works fine this way too. 

So here's the final project!
It measures a generous 21.5" x 13.75". 

I'm so excited to have learned something new and it resulted in a nice finished project!  I call it a big success. 

No comments:

Post a Comment