Thursday, December 19, 2013

7 days until Christmas...

The countdown is on!  I have all my shopping done, have for a few weeks now, but I am feeling the crunch on doing all the fun holiday activities I've planned for the family.  Still left to do: donate food and toys, do the Christmas baking and deliver treats to neighbors.  Not to mention all the wrapping.  Luckily, my boys are oblivious to the huge pile of cardboard boxes in my closet. Once I wrap the gifts, they'll be in the crosshairs.  I think I'll wait till last minute for that.

Yesterday, Elijah was quick to point out to Chris (who was not wanting to share his cashews) that God wants us to share. I look at it as evidence I'm getting through and some of the "reason for the season" is getting absorbed. 😌

About a year ago, my grandparents downsized their home and my Grandma, (who is a great knitter, seamstress, and cross-stitcher, and on and on) wanted to downsize her craft stuff. She graciously gave me some of her yarn stash, and I've had fun researching its origins.

Here is a great photo of my Grandpa, Grandma, and Great Grandma (who I'll credit with teaching me knitting basics as a pre-teen).  My Great Grandma passed away recently, and we all miss her very much.  Grandma, I was looking for a photo of just you and me, and I don't have one!  We need to get one!

One of the yarns she gave me was this Reynold's Tipperary Tweed.  There wasn't a date on the yarn label, but the little bits I could find online indicate it's probably from the late 70's.  Reynolds ceased production in 2012.  Most references to it list it as a "vintage" yarn.  Ha.  Vintage.  It's an Icelandic sort of raw wool, undoubtedly warm, and feels rustic.  I'm not sure what she had in mind to make with it, but it is an interesting blend of colors and textures. 

I had been wanting to try the Growing Leaves Cowl by Meghan Macko.  I thought the leaf design would play well with the rustic yarn. So here it is.
 
It was fun to see the leaves emerging as I knit this cowl.  I always am amazed what you can create with two simple stitches and their variations.  This project used up about half of the yarn, so I'll have to do some more planning!

Next week will be filled with holiday and family, so Merry Christmas!


No comments:

Post a Comment