At first I dreaded the idea of making a ton of little pieces that then would need to be sewn together, but it turns out it was great. As I said in my last post, I have been feeling miserable lately, and a small project that didn't require looking at a pattern or much brain power was just the thing I needed. It could be worked on straight needles, also, making it small and manageable. Anyone who has made a blanket on circulars knows it can be tedious to have all those stitches on at once.
I took each ball of yarn and started knitting until I became concerned I was running low, then I would weigh a finished square on my trusty food scale, weigh the remaining ball of yarn, and see if I had enough. Worked like a charm. Some colors I was able to make 5 or 6 squares, some I only made one.
Before long I had a big stack of squares (why I didn't take a picture of this, I don't know), but I ended up with 45 squares. 45 did not compute into a normal sized blanket, so I sacrificed 3 squares and made a 7x6 square blanket. It measures 41"x36".